Burn Wounds After Electrical Injury in a Bathtub

A Case Report

Sem F. Hardon; Pieter J. Haasnoot; Annebeth Meij-de Vries

Disclosures

J Med Case Reports. 2019;13(304) 

In This Article

Abstract and Introduction

Abstract

Background: Increased smartphone use among minors makes our population more prone to electrical injury. Despite regulations on electrical home safety standards, smartphones and chargers still pose a risk for severe injury among users.

Case presentation: We present a case of a patient with low-voltage electrical burns due to smartphone use in a bathtub. The 13-year-old Caucasian patient was using a smartphone plugged into the electrical grid while taking a bath. We report the burns and their treatment. We discuss the likely burn mechanism.

Conclusions: Burn wounds after electrical injury due to smartphone use are rare. The presented case shows the danger of smartphone use in bathtubs.

Comments

3090D553-9492-4563-8681-AD288FA52ACE

processing....