Cystic Renal Cell Carcinoma

A Report of 67 Cases Including 4 Cases With Concurrent Renal Cell Carcinoma

Shanwen Chen; Baiye Jin; Liqi Xu; Guanghou Fu; Hongzhou Meng; Ben Liu; Jun Li; Dan Xia


BMC Urol. 2014;14(87) 

In This Article

Abstract and Introduction


Background Cystic renal cell carcinoma (CRCC) is relatively rare; CRCC is frequently misdiagnosed as a benign renal cyst. CRCC carries an excellent prognosis following surgical treatment. The aim of our study was to summarize the management of CRCC and to characterize the prognosis of affected patients.

Methods A retrospective study of 67 patients with CRCC was conducted at our center between January 2005 and April 2013. Patient prognosis as well as the clinical manifestations, imaging characteristics, treatment, and pathologic features of CRCC were summarized based on available medical record data.

Results We identified 67 cases of CRCC, representing 2.5% of all renal cell carcinoma cases. The tumor was discovered incidentally in 70% of the cases. Ultrasonography was found to be a useful screening tool, but computed tomography remains the imaging study of choice for identifying malignant features. Magnetic resonance imaging can be used in equivocal cases. Regarding treatment, radical nephrectomy was performed in 52% of the cases, and partial nephrectomy was selected in the remaining 48% of cases. None of the 46 patients (68% of the study group) available for follow-up showed any evidence of recurrence.

Conclusions CRCC is an uncommon subtype of renal cell carcinoma, occurring in 2.5% of cases. CRCC carries an excellent prognosis after surgical treatment. Partial nephrectomy should be regarded as the preferred surgical technique for CRCC.