Allergic Contact Dermatitis: Poison Ivy

Rhonda Goodman, PhD, ARNP, FNP-BC; Deborah Hollimon, MS, ARNP, FNP-BC

Disclosures

Dermatology Nursing 

In This Article

Patient Education

Prevention is the best form of protection. Families may learn to identify and remove poisonous plants in their yard to avoid contact with allergens. Protective clothing, such as long pants, hats, gloves, and long-sleeved shirts should be worn while working in the yard (Graham, 2003). Any clothing, shoes, tools, or pets which have been exposed should be washed. Burning the plants should be avoided, as the smoke may contain particulate matter with urushiol, and it may produce an allergic reaction, either from contact with the skin or a systemic reaction from inhaling the smoke. Also, when plants are cut with mowers or edgers, the urushiol may become airborne. Plants should never be ingested, as they may cause gastrointestinal reactions. Patients should be taught good hand washing and hygiene and to avoid scratching the lesions.

Comments

3090D553-9492-4563-8681-AD288FA52ACE
Comments on Medscape are moderated and should be professional in tone and on topic. You must declare any conflicts of interest related to your comments and responses. Please see our Commenting Guide for further information. We reserve the right to remove posts at our sole discretion.

processing....