Essentials of Female Sexual Dysfunction from a Sex Therapy Perspective

Linda E. Ohl, MSW, CSW, ACH


Urol Nurs. 2007;27(1):57-63. 

In This Article

When to Refer to a Therapist

What should the clinician do if it is concluded there are no medical causes to better explain the woman's sexual dysfunction? If the clinician has interest, therapy can be initiated in the medical office. Ask the patient her thoughts as to why she may be experiencing this problem. Spend a few moments educating her about sex and correcting any myths or misconceptions she may have.

Helping the patient find credible resources is very important (see Table 2 ). Direct her to the health section in the bookstore, library, or online. Handing out a list of books and Web addresses with credible resources will help your patient make informed choices. You may wish to stock books in your office or clinic, for loan or purchase as a courtesy to the patient.

If these suggestions do not correct the situation, the issues may be more deeply rooted, or combined with other psychopathology, and may not be treated easily in the medical office setting. In this case, it is appropriate to refer the patient to a sex therapist or other clinician that specializes in FSD.


Comments on Medscape are moderated and should be professional in tone and on topic. You must declare any conflicts of interest related to your comments and responses. Please see our Commenting Guide for further information. We reserve the right to remove posts at our sole discretion.
Post as: