A Comprehensive Management Guide for Atopic Dermatitis

Jennifer D. Peterson, MD; Lawrence S. Chan, MD

Disclosures

Dermatology Nursing. 2006;18(6):531-542. 

In This Article

Intrinsic Versus Extrinsic Atopic Dermatitis

As mentioned previously, the immune system plays a critical role in the development of atopic dermatitis. Over the past few decades, researchers and clinicians have discovered that there are two forms of AD: intrinsic (nonallergic) and extrinsic (allergic). Although the two forms are clinically indistinguishable based on the findings of the physical examination, there are numerous differences in other aspects (see Table 1 ). Extrinsic AD composes 70% to 85% of atopic dermatitis, while intrinsic atopic dermatitis makes up the remaining 15% to 30%. Extrinsic AD is associated with high serum IgE levels, exhibits allergen-specific IgE to aeroallergens and foods, positive skin prick reactions, and has a cytokine profile of high IL-4 and IL-13 levels (Bardana, 2004). IL-4, IL-5, and IL-13 cytokines play a role in the Th2 response which is seen in the early stages of AD. Chronic atopic dermatitis lesions principally have a Th1 response with the cytokines IL-12 and interferon-playing a dominant role (Schmid-Grendelmeier, Simon, Simon, Akdis, & Wuthrich, 2001). Patients with intrinsic AD, by contrast, have normal IgE levels, negative skin prick reactions, low IL-4 and IL-13 levels, and they do not have allergen-specific IgE to aeroallergens and foods (Bardana, 2004). The onset of extrinsic AD typically is in early childhood while patients with intrinsic AD have a later onset. Finally, patients with intrinsic AD are characterized by an absence of other atopic disease, asthma, and allergic rhinitis (Schmid-Grendel meier et al., 2001).

Comments

3090D553-9492-4563-8681-AD288FA52ACE
Comments on Medscape are moderated and should be professional in tone and on topic. You must declare any conflicts of interest related to your comments and responses. Please see our Commenting Guide for further information. We reserve the right to remove posts at our sole discretion.

processing....