Author: Alejandro Balzaretti, MDSeries Editors: Sheryl Falkos, MD, and Rosa A. Vidal, MD


February 13, 2006


A 10-year-old white boy presented to the emergency center with multiple burns. He had been playing with a battery charger that his father had taken apart to fix. He plugged the charger to an outlet (110 volts [V]) while holding the circuit board on the other hand and received an electric shock. As a result, he got 3 burns; a small one on the fingertips of the right second and third fingers, another on the dorsum of the left hand, and a third on the chest. After the shock occurred, the patient fell to the ground and did not experience further trauma. However, he did lose control of his bladder. The father reported no loss of consciousness, seizures, muscle spasms, or bleeding following the shock.

The past medical history was unremarkable.


Comments on Medscape are moderated and should be professional in tone and on topic. You must declare any conflicts of interest related to your comments and responses. Please see our Commenting Guide for further information. We reserve the right to remove posts at our sole discretion.