Periodontitis and CVD: What Is the Link?

W. Steven Pray; Joshua J. Pray

Disclosures

US Pharmacist. 2005;30(2):16-22. 

In This Article

Prevalence and Epidemiology of Periodontitis

Unfortunately, periodontitis is extremely common, occurring in an estimated 35% of U.S. residents ages 30 and older.[2] Approximately 63% have a mild form, while the remaining 37% have moderate to severe periodontitis. Periodontal disease is also the leading cause of tooth loss for those older than 40.3 Risk factors for periodontitis are dental plaque, which contains microorganisms, diabetes mellitus, smoking, and possibly stress.

Comments

3090D553-9492-4563-8681-AD288FA52ACE
Comments on Medscape are moderated and should be professional in tone and on topic. You must declare any conflicts of interest related to your comments and responses. Please see our Commenting Guide for further information. We reserve the right to remove posts at our sole discretion.
Post as:

processing....