Antidepressants Used as Placebos: Is That Good Practice?
[Drug Benefit Trends 15(8):32-33, 2003. © 2003
Cliggott Publishing, Division of SCP Communications
- Croghan TW. The controversy of increased spending for antidepressants. Health Aff (Millwood). 2001;20:129-135.
- Latner AW. Top 200 drugs by retail sales in 2000. Drug Topics. 2001;6:18.
- Burt CW. National trends in use of medications in office-based practice, 1985-1999. Health Aff (Millwood). 2002;21:206-214.
- Barbui C, Broglio E, Laia AC, et al. Cross-sectional database analysis of antidepressant prescribing in Italy. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2003;23:31-34.
- Lin EH, Von Korff M, Katon W, et al. The role of the primary care physician in patients' adherence to antidepressant therapy. Med Care. 1995;33:67-74.
- Clinical Practice Guideline Number 5: Depression in Primary Care, 2: Treatment of Major Depression. Rockville, Md: Agency for Health Care Policy and Research, US Dept of Health and Human Services; 1993. AHCPR publication 93-0551.
- Fava GA. Can long-term treatment with antidepressant drugs worsen the course of depression? J Clin Psychiatry. 2003;64:123-133.
- Carroll BJ. Neurobiologic dimension of depression and mania. In: Angst J, ed. The Origins of Depression. Berlin: Springer-Verlag; 1983:163-186.
- Elkin I, Gibbons RD, Shea MT, et al. Initial severity and differential treatment outcome in the National Institute of Mental Health Treatment of Depression Collaborative Research Program. J Consult Clin Psychol.1995;63:841-847.
- Barrett JE, Williams JW Jr, Oxman TE, et al. Treatment of dysthymia and minor depression in primary care: a randomized trial in patients aged 18 to 59 years. J Fam Pract. 2001;50:405-412.
- Streator SE, Moss JT Jr. Identification of off-label antidepressant use and costs in a network model HMO. Drug Benefit Trends. 1997;9:42, 48-50, 55-56.
- Ornstein S, Stuart G, Jenkins R. Depression diagnoses and antidepressant use in primary care practices: a study from the Practice Partner Research Network (PPRNet). J Fam Pract. 2000;49:68-72.
- Way K, Young CH, Opia E, et al. Antidepressant utilization patterns in a managed care organization. Drug Benefit Trends. 1999; 11(9):6BH-11BH.
- Barbui C, Tognoni G, Garattini S. Clinical databases of patients receiving antidepressants: the missing link between research and practice. J Affect Disord. 2002;70:191-196.