Which specialist consultations may be helpful in the treatment of Henoch-Schönlein purpura (IgA vasculitis)?

Updated: Jan 08, 2021
  • Author: Rajendra Bhimma, MBChB, MD, PhD, DCH (SA), FCP(Paeds)(SA), MMed(Natal); Chief Editor: Craig B Langman, MD  more...
  • Print

Because IgAV is a multisystem disease, consultations with the following specialists can be helpful in diagnosis and treatment:

  • Dermatologist
  • Gastroenterologist
  • Nephrologist (particularly for assistance in determining if dialysis is indicated)
  • Rheumatologist
  • Dermatopathologist [126] (the utility of the consultation is limited to untypical or incomplete manifestations of IgAV to buttress positive vascular IgA immunohistochemical evidence of the deposits)

Consultation is recommended for patients with kidney involvement before discharge from the emergency department and for all patients who appear acutely ill.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!