Which specialist consultations are helpful for the treatment of hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)?

Updated: Jul 18, 2018
  • Author: Santina A Zanelli, MD; Chief Editor: Dharmendra J Nimavat, MD, FAAP  more...
  • Print

A pediatric neurologist should help assist in the management of seizures, interpretation of electroencephalograms (EEGs), and overall care of the infant with hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE). The neurologist should also work with the primary care physician to address long-term disabilities.

Follow-up by a developmental pediatrician is also recommended to assist with planning for the infant's long-term assessments of neurodevelopment and care.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!