When is reporting to child protection services indicated in the treatment of pediatric growth failure (failure to thrive)?

Updated: Nov 05, 2018
  • Author: Andrew P Sirotnak, MD; Chief Editor: Caroly Pataki, MD  more...
  • Print

An infant with growth failure from a dysfunctional care setting or family environment may thrive when placed in a more functional caring home. Reporting to county social services (child protection services) may be indicated with the following:

  • If risk, suspicion, or documented abuse or neglect is observed

  • If situations or factors are present that cannot be addressed by the care team alone (eg, homelessness, substance abuse, violence, family uncooperative with the care plan) because the infant or child can be considered a victim of medical care neglect

  • If the family needs monitoring and support to assure compliance

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!