Which specialist consultations are beneficial to patients with ingrown nails?

Updated: Nov 06, 2020
  • Author: Amira M Elbendary, MBBCh, MSc; Chief Editor: William D James, MD  more...
  • Print

Consult a podiatrist, dermatologist, or orthopedic surgeon for routine follow-up care or for patients in whom primary avulsion therapy has been unsuccessful.

Close follow-up care with an orthopedist is required if inflammatory osteophytic changes are observed or if evidence of osteomyelitis is present. Immediate antibiotic treatment should begin, and inpatient treatment may be needed for osteomyelitis.

Follow-up with a primary care physician is indicated for any type of immunosuppression, including diabetes mellitus. Antibiotics may be started in those who are immunosuppressed.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!