Which specialist consultations are indicated in the treatment of pediatric allergic rhinitis?

Updated: Jun 04, 2021
  • Author: Jack M Becker, MD; Chief Editor: Harumi Jyonouchi, MD  more...
  • Print

Primary care physicians can attend to most patients.

Patients in whom diagnosis or treatment is more difficult may require consultation with a specialist. This usually starts with an allergist, who performs a complete allergy evaluation, including diagnostic tests. Therapy is instituted, which is a combination of environmental manipulations, medications and, in some patients, allergen-specific immunotherapy.

Refer patients in whom allergic rhinitis becomes hard to manage or diagnose to an allergist for complete evaluation and advanced treatment, including institution of allergen-specific immunotherapy.

If medical therapies do not produce an adequate result, referral to an ENT specialist should be indicated for possible surgical intervention.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!