How is heavy metal toxicity treated?

Updated: Dec 31, 2020
  • Author: Adefris Adal, MD, MS; Chief Editor: Sage W Wiener, MD  more...
  • Print
Answer

A majority of asymptomatic children and adults with elevated lead levels can be safely managed solely by removing the source of exposure. Contact a medical toxicologist or the local poison control center for specific recommendations.

All cases of significantly elevated lead levels should be reported to the local health department. Report any industry- or workplace-related heavy metal toxicities to OSHA. Symptomatic patients with elevated metal concentrations should be treated more aggressively.

Clinical guidelines on treatment of iron and mercury exposure are available from the American Association of Poison Control Centers. [26, 27]  


Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!