Which specialist consultations are beneficial to patients with alcohol toxicity?

Updated: Jan 05, 2021
  • Author: Michael D Levine, MD; Chief Editor: Jeter (Jay) Pritchard Taylor, III, MD  more...
  • Print

For patients with ethanol intoxication who appear to have issues with dependence or abuse, consider referral to an alcohol detoxification facility. Consult a toxicologist for all known or suspected cases of isopropanol, methanol, or ethylene glycol ingestion. If a toxicologist is not immediately available at the medical center where the patient is located, the regional poison control center can be contacted at (800) 222-1222.

Consult a nephrologist for any known or suspected cases of methanol or ethylene glycol intoxication to assist in the decision making for hemodialysis.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!