Which specialist consultations are needed for the treatment of postpartum hemorrhage (PPH)?

Updated: Jan 02, 2018
  • Author: Maame Yaa A B Yiadom, MD, MPH; Chief Editor: Bruce M Lo, MD, MBA, CPE, RDMS, FACEP, FAAEM, FACHE  more...
  • Print

For all cases, do the following:

  • Obstetrics and gynecology: Immediate consultation with an OB/GYN is vital for the appropriate care of a patient with postpartum hemorrhage. As mentioned above, an OB/GYN should be consulted as the assessment of the patient is initiated or upon arrival of the patient in the ED. If no OB/GYN is available, consult a general surgeon.

  • Blood bank: Direct contact with the blood bank is essential in assuring timely arrival of any blood products ordered.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!