Which specialist consultations may be helpful to patients with delirium, dementia, and amnesia?

Updated: Sep 19, 2018
  • Author: Richard D Shin, MD; Chief Editor: Gil Z Shlamovitz, MD, FACEP  more...
  • Print

Specific cases may require consultation with neurosurgery, neurology, or medicine subspecialists (eg, infectious disease, endocrinology, nephrology, gastroenterology, toxicology, psychiatry).

In the setting of trauma or neurosurgical emergency, notify surgeons early in the workup for surgical emergencies that are contributing to the patient's delirium. 

The patient's private physician and/or family members are often the best sources of information regarding baseline functioning, prior medical history, and current medications.

Consult social services for home evaluation and placement issues for patients with dementia.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!