When is consultation with an urologist indicated in the treatment of prostatitis?

Updated: Nov 01, 2019
  • Author: Paul J Turek, MD; Chief Editor: Jeter (Jay) Pritchard Taylor, III, MD  more...
  • Print

After primary management and stabilization of the patient with acute prostatitis, care is appropriately transferred to a urologist.

Aggressive treatment can lessen the chance of developing chronic prostatitis. Chronic bacterial prostatitis, chronic pelvic pain syndrome, and asymptomatic inflammatory prostatitis also are probably best treated by or in consultation with a urologist.

Notify the health department if a reportable STD is documented. Consult a psychiatrist if psychosomatic disorder is suspected.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!