Which specialist consultations are beneficial to elderly patients with abdominal pain?

Updated: Jul 17, 2018
  • Author: E David Bryan, MD; Chief Editor: Barry E Brenner, MD, PhD, FACEP  more...
  • Print

In patients in whom ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) or mesenteric ischemia is suspected, consult a surgeon immediately. The surgical consultant should observe the elderly patient with abdominal pain in the emergency department (ED) to determine whether the patient requires operative intervention.

Consult a gastroenterologist immediately for patients with significant gastrointestinal bleeding.

When the diagnosis is uncertain, obtain surgical consultation. Discharge of an elderly patient with abdominal pain should be the exception rather than the rule.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!