Which specialist consultations are beneficial for patients with insect bites?

Updated: Jun 21, 2018
  • Author: Boyd (Bo) D Burns, DO, FACEP, FAAEM; Chief Editor: Joe Alcock, MD, MS  more...
  • Print

In cases in which determining the insect species is important, a health department, agriculture extension, or university entomologist may be useful.

In cases of potential vector-borne disease transmission, an infectious disease specialist may be of help.

If the potential infection is associated with travel to a tropical region, consider contacting a tropical medicine specialist or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) at 1-877-394-8747 (Traveler's Health Hotline).

A regional poison center may be of assistance in difficult or complicated cases or for general information.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!