Which specialist consultations are beneficial to patients with a retropharyngeal abscess (RPA)?

Updated: Jan 08, 2021
  • Author: Joseph H Kahn, MD; Chief Editor: Gil Z Shlamovitz, MD, FACEP  more...
  • Print

An emergent consultation with an ENT specialist is necessary. This specialist should be consulted as soon as the diagnosis of retropharyngeal abscess is suspected, especially if the patient is exhibiting signs of upper airway obstruction.

If an abscess is present, an ENT specialist can drain it in the operating room. An ENT specialist may also perform a tracheostomy.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!