Which specialist consultations are indicated in the treatment of epiglottitis?

Updated: Apr 28, 2020
  • Author: Sandra G Gompf, MD, FACP, FIDSA; Chief Editor: Jeter (Jay) Pritchard Taylor, III, MD  more...
  • Print

An anesthesiologist and an ear, nose, and throat (ENT) specialist or a general surgeon should be notified as soon as possible when epiglottitis is suspected. Early anesthesiologist and otolaryngologist consultation facilitates initial safe airway management, which is then followed by appropriate antibiotic treatment. An infectious disease subspecialist should be considered if the patient does not respond to empiric antibiotics.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!