Which specialist consultations are beneficial to patients with priapism?

Updated: Dec 26, 2019
  • Author: Osama Al-Omar, MD, MBA, FACS, FEBU; Chief Editor: Edward David Kim, MD, FACS  more...
  • Print

Early consultation with a urologist is recommended, especially when less-invasive measures in the ED fail to resolve priapism or a high-flow condition is suspected. If a urologist is not available at the presenting institution, the patient should be transferred to an appropriate tertiary care center where a urologist is available. Refractory priapism may require urologic consultation for placement of a corpus cavernosum–corpus spongiosum shunt.

Consultation with a cardiologist may be appropriate for patients with cardiac disease or hypertension. Consultation with a hematologist is indicated for patients whose priapism is a complication of SCD.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!