When is specialist consultation indicated in the treatment of acquired premature ejaculation (PE)?

Updated: Jan 15, 2019
  • Author: Samuel G Deem, DO; Chief Editor: Edward David Kim, MD, FACS  more...
  • Print

Because most physicians are not trained sex therapists, it is important to sort out conflicts in the relationship and then refer couples for counseling to professionals with experience and training in that area. Physicians who have some training or experience in treating premature ejaculation and are comfortable managing the problem may choose to begin treatment. If the patient does not respond favorably or if the physician is uncomfortable with treating the condition, the next step is referral to a sex therapist, psychologist, or psychiatrist.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!