Which specialist consultations are indicated in the treatment of complex regional pain syndrome type 1 (CRPS 1) (RSD)?

Updated: Mar 09, 2021
  • Author: T P Sudha Rao, MD; Chief Editor: Herbert S Diamond, MD  more...
  • Print

Multiple consultants are often needed in challenging CRPS cases, including the following:

  • An anesthesiologist who specializes in pain management and who is capable of performing sympathetic blocks
  • An internist/rheumatologist capable of supervising anti-inflammatory regimens
  • A surgeon who is capable of performing surgical sympathectomy

Consultation with a physical therapist and occupational therapist (hand therapist) is important to institute aggressive exercise programs.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!