Which specialist consultations are beneficial to patients with gonococcal arthritis?

Updated: Jan 12, 2019
  • Author: Victoria Fernandes Sullivan, MD; Chief Editor: Herbert S Diamond, MD  more...
  • Print

Consider consulting a rheumatologist for assistance in the evaluation and management of septic joints.

Consider consulting an infectious disease specialist for management of DGI cases and determination of optimal antibiotic therapy later in the course of the disease or if there is concern for treatment failure.

Consider consulting a cardiologist if acute endocarditis is suspected.

An orthopedic consultation may be required for arthroscopic or surgical drainage of an inaccessible joint (eg, the hip) or for failure of nonsurgical management (ie, daily aspiration).

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!