What are the forms of gonococcal arthritis?

Updated: Jul 31, 2018
  • Author: Rachel Robbins, MD; Chief Editor: Herbert S Diamond, MD  more...
  • Print
Answer

The clinical presentation of disseminated gonococcal infection (DGI) is typically divided into a bacteremic form and a septic arthritis form. Approximately 60% of patients present with symptoms consistent with the bacteremic form, and the remaining 40% present with symptoms of more localized infection. Although each form presents with its own symptom complex, the overlap can be considerable. The time from initial infection to initial manifestations of disease ranges from 1 day to 3 months. [1]


Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!