Which specialist consultations are helpful in the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis (AS) and undifferentiated spondyloarthropathy (USpA)?

Updated: Feb 02, 2021
  • Author: Lawrence H Brent, MD; Chief Editor: Herbert S Diamond, MD  more...
  • Print

Consultations with the following specialists may be appropriate:

  • Rheumatologist - For evaluation and management of ongoing medical treatment of patients with AS; additional coexisting spondyloarthropathies can be assessed

  • Ophthalmologist - For patients with symptoms of acute anterior uveitis

  • Gastroenterologist - For patients with symptoms suggesting coexisting IBD

  • Cardiologist - For patients with cardiac involvement, including aortitis or heart block

  • Physical therapist or physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist - Indicated for all patients

  • Surgeon (orthopedic, neurologic, or both)

  • Support groups - Many patients benefit from various support groups, which can provide further education on the disease process and available treatment options

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!