Is consultation with an ophthalmologist or neurologist helpful for giant cell arteritis (GCA) (temporal arteritis)?

Updated: Sep 03, 2020
  • Author: Mythili Seetharaman, MD; Chief Editor: Herbert S Diamond, MD  more...
  • Print

An ophthalmologist should be consulted for a complete, dilated ocular examination to rule out other causes of vision loss, particularly when the diagnosis is uncertain. Consultation with a neurologist is helpful for excluding other causes of headache.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!