What is the prognosis of Takayasu arteritis?

Updated: Nov 14, 2018
  • Author: Jefferson R Roberts, MD; Chief Editor: Herbert S Diamond, MD  more...
  • Print
Answer

Takayasu arteritis is associated with substantial morbidity and may be life-threatening. Its course usually extends for many years, with varying degrees of activity. Approximately 20% of patients have a monophasic and self-limited disease. In others, Takayasu arteritis is progressive or relapsing/remitting and requires immunosuppressive treatment. [15, 16, 17]

A National Institutes of Health study of 60 patients with Takayasu arteritis showed that 20% of patients had a monophasic illness, self-limiting illness and therefore did not require immunosuppressive treatment. In the remaining 80% of patients, who did not have a monophasic illness and who experienced a single exacerbation, immunosuppressive therapy resulted in remission in 60%. Of these, one half experienced relapse after immunosuppressive therapy was stopped.


Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!