Which specialist consultations are beneficial to patients with scleroderma?

Updated: Sep 09, 2019
  • Author: Sergio A Jimenez, MD, MACR, FACP, FRCP(UK Hon); Chief Editor: Herbert S Diamond, MD  more...
  • Print

All patients with systemic sclerosis should be treated in conjunction with an experienced rheumatologist who has a full understanding of the disease, the complications of the therapies, and the frequently serious adverse effects. Consultation with an experienced practitioner can help avoid potentially fatal pulmonary, vascular, or renal complications.

Patients with systemic sclerosis may need to be treated by other subspecialists, depending on the involvement of specific organ systems (eg, cardiologist, pulmonologist, gastroenterologist, nephrologist, endocrinologist, vascular surgeon, wound care specialist, hand surgeon).

Renal and lung transplantation are performed in specialized centers for patients with end-stage renal or lung involvement.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!