When should corticosteroids be considered in the treatment of acute gout?

Updated: Jan 26, 2021
  • Author: Bruce M Rothschild, MD; Chief Editor: Herbert S Diamond, MD  more...
  • Print

Corticosteroids can be given to patients with gout who cannot use NSAIDs or colchicine. Steroids can be given orally, IV, intramuscularly (IM), or intra-articularly. Using parenteral corticosteroids confers no advantage unless the patient cannot take oral medications.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!