Which specialist consultations are indicated in the treatment of fibromyalgia?

Updated: Apr 23, 2020
  • Author: Chad S Boomershine, MD, PhD, CPI, CPT; Chief Editor: Herbert S Diamond, MD  more...
  • Print

Consultation with a rheumatologist experienced in the diagnosis and treatment of fibromyalgia is appropriate. In addition, a rheumatologist can assist in the differential diagnoses of chronic pain and fatigue syndromes and in the assessment of comorbid rheumatologic disorders.

Referral to a neurologist, dentist, or other specialist may be beneficial in patients with prominent regional pain disorders that coexist with fibromyalgia. Psychological counseling is useful. If a psychiatric disorder is suggested, consult a psychiatrist.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!