Which consultations are beneficial to patients with vertebrobasilar stroke?

Updated: Aug 09, 2021
  • Author: Vladimir Kaye, MD; Chief Editor: Stephen Kishner, MD, MHA  more...
  • Print


In addition to consultations with physical, occupational, and speech therapists, consultation with a neuropsychologist and a social services worker may also be required in the management of patients with vertebrobasilar stroke.

Evaluation by a neuropsychologist is recommended to screen for depression, family dysfunction, coping skills, and subtle cognitive, memory, or processing deficits. All of these may affect future participation in and compliance with rehabilitation.

The social services department is responsible for coordinating intake and planning discharge. Depending on the setting, the social services representative may be a licensed social worker or may instead be someone with a more limited background. Home health agencies typically employ licensed social workers, but in nursing homes, the social worker usually is not licensed or certified.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!