Which specialist consultations are indicated in the treatment of chronic pain syndrome (CPS)?

Updated: Jan 14, 2020
  • Author: Manish K Singh, MD; Chief Editor: Stephen Kishner, MD, MHA  more...
  • Print

Consultation with a psychologist, a urologist, a neurologist, an obstetrician-gynecologist, a GI specialist, or other appropriate specialist is very important, especially before considering invasive or aggressive management of a patient with chronic pain syndrome (CPS).

The high incidence of personality pathology in CPS may represent an exaggeration of maladaptive personality traits and coping styles caused by chronic, intense pain. A psychological evaluation should be performed to identify the stressor and to obtain information about the distress of the patient. The evaluation should consist of a structural clinical interview and a personality measure (eg, Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Scale, Hopelessness Index).

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!