When is a specialist needed for assistance in performing diagnostic thoracentesis in the workup for pleural effusion (fluid on the lungs)?

Updated: Dec 28, 2018
  • Author: Kamran Boka, MD, MS; Chief Editor: Guy W Soo Hoo, MD, MPH  more...
  • Print

Depending on the clinician’s experience, a pulmonologist or interventional radiologist can be consulted for assistance with high-risk diagnostic thoracentesis.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!