Which specialist consultations are beneficial to patients with Kaposi sarcoma (KS)?

Updated: Apr 11, 2019
  • Author: Jessica Katz, MD, PhD, FACP; Chief Editor: Edwin Choy, MD, PhD  more...
  • Print

Local therapies—including topical agents, cryotherapy, laser therapy, and intralesional therapy—should be administered by a dermatologist who has experience in the treatment of Kaposi sarcoma. Obtain a radiation oncology consultation when considering the use of radiation as definitive therapy for palliation of locally advanced symptomatic disease or a cosmetically disturbing cutaneous lesion.

All patients with AIDS-associated Kaposi sarcoma should be referred to an HIV infectious disease specialist. Care coordination between the HIV specialist and oncology team is important. The infectious disease team can help diagnose and treat co-existing opportunistic infections; monitor HIV viral load; and optimize immune system recovery, which is a key component of AIDS-associated Kaposi sarcoma management.

Patients who experience significant Kaposi sarcoma–related lymphedema should be referred to a lymphedema specialist to help improve symptom control.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!