What are the treatment options for androgen excess?

Updated: Mar 14, 2018
  • Author: Mohamed Yahya Abdel-Rahman, MD, MSc; Chief Editor: Richard Scott Lucidi, MD, FACOG  more...
  • Print

Women with mild hirsutism can be treated safely and effectively by most primary care providers after serious etiologies have been excluded. Those with more significant symptoms or life-threatening disease should be referred to specialists. Women with emotional distress regardless of the degree of symptoms often benefit from referral for psychological support.

Women with significant acne or hirsutism that does not respond to standard therapy are often best treated in conjunction with a dermatologist and sometimes a medical or reproductive endocrinologist. Women with signs of virilization should be evaluated by a medical endocrinologist. Likewise, women with significant adrenal disease require the expertise of a medical endocrinologist and possibly a surgeon specializing in adrenal tumors.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!