What specialist consultations are recommended for the treatment of endometriosis?

Updated: May 10, 2021
  • Author: G Willy Davila, MD; Chief Editor: Michel E Rivlin, MD  more...
  • Print

Treat patients with endometriosis in consultation with a physician experienced in the diagnosis and management of this condition and its complications, such as an obstetrician/gynecologist. If extensive disease is present, specialists in reproductive endocrinology, urology, colorectal surgery, and even gynecologic oncology may be required.

Any postpubertal patient going to the operating room for acute or chronic pelvic/abdominal pain could have endometriosis, therefore, consultation with a physician having the experience to recognize, diagnose, and treat this disease is prudent. Conservation of future fertility may be dependent on the conservative and meticulous surgical approach of an expert reproductive surgeon.

A study by Mu et al examined the prospective association between laparoscopically confirmed endometriosis and subsequent coronary heart disease among 116,430 women in the Nurses' Health Study II from 1989-2009. The study found that laparoscopically confirmed endometriosis was associated with increased risk of coronary heart disease. Women with endometriosis were 1.52 times more likely to have a myocardial infarction, 1.91 times more likely to develop angiographically confirmed angina, and 1.35 times more likely to need coronary artery bypass graft surgery, a coronary angioplasty procedure, or a stent. [112, 113]

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!