Which tests should be performed if the anion gap (AG) is not elevated in the workup of metabolic acidosis?

Updated: Dec 08, 2020
  • Author: Christie P Thomas, MBBS, FRCP, FASN, FAHA; Chief Editor: Vecihi Batuman, MD, FASN  more...
  • Print

If the AG is not elevated, then a urinalysis should be performed and a urine pH obtained with a pH electrode on a fresh sample of urine collected under oil or in a capped syringe. A urine AG is calculated from the measurement of urine Na+, K+, and Cl-. This helps to differentiate between GI and renal losses of HCO3- in non-AG metabolic acidosis.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!