Which specialist consultations are indicated in the treatment of hypokalemia (low potassium level)?

Updated: Dec 06, 2018
  • Author: Eleanor Lederer, MD, FASN; Chief Editor: Vecihi Batuman, MD, FASN  more...
  • Print

The following consultations may be appropriate, depending on clinical findings, for diagnosing and managing underlying conditions in patients with hypokalemia:

  • Renal specialist for evaluation of unexplained urine potassium losses suggested to be secondary to a tubular disorder

  • Endocrinologist if Cushing syndrome, primary hyperaldosteronism, glucocorticoid-remediable hypertension, or congenital adrenal hyperplasia is suggested

  • Psychiatrist or other mental health professional for alcoholism or eating disorders

  • Dietitian in cases of hypokalemia due to inadequate dietary intake

  • Surgeon for etiologies such as renal artery stenosis, adrenal adenoma, intestinal obstruction producing massive vomiting, and villous adenoma

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!