When are specialist consultations indicated in the treatment of varicella-zoster virus (VZV) infection?

Updated: Feb 15, 2019
  • Author: Wayne E Anderson, DO, FAHS, FAAN; Chief Editor: Pranatharthi Haran Chandrasekar, MBBS, MD  more...
  • Print

Consultation with a neurologist is indicated in cases of myelitis or encephalitis.

Consultation with an infectious disease specialist may be helpful if bacterial superinfection or viral resistance to acyclovir is evident.

Consultation with an ophthalmologist is indicated upon optic involvement.

Consultation with a dermatologist may be helpful when the rash is atypical.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!