When is consultation with a pain specialist advisable for males with a urinary tract infection (UTI)?

Updated: Jan 02, 2020
  • Author: John L Brusch, MD, FACP; Chief Editor: Michael Stuart Bronze, MD  more...
  • Print

Pain specialists may be needed to control discomfort in patients with nonbacterial prostatitis. Chronic abacterial prostatitis shares the following with other chronic pain syndromes: (1) pain as a primary complaint; (2) discord between symptoms and findings; and (3) history of multiple unsuccessful treatments. Providers of alternative healing (eg, hypnotherapists) and a psychiatrist or psychologist also may be needed.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!