Which specialist consultations are required for the treatment of toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN)?

Updated: Jul 01, 2021
  • Author: Samantha P Jellinek-Cohen, PharmD, BCPS (AQ-ID); Chief Editor: Michael Stuart Bronze, MD  more...
  • Print

Most patients with TEN require specialized care under the direction of a team of physicians with experience in handling this disorder. Burn-unit care represents an option worthy of serious consideration.

Required consultations may include the following:

  • A dermatologist is consulted to identify and to confirm the diagnosis of TEN

  • A plastic surgeon is consulted to debride areas of skin necrosis, as indicated

  • An ophthalmologist is consulted for assisting in the treatment of ocular manifestations and preventing long-term sequelae

  • An internal medicine specialist is consulted to assist in patient treatment

  • Consultation with a respiratory medicine specialist may be important, since respiratory mucosa may slough; establishment of pulmonary toilet may be advisable

  • Otolaryngologic or urologic consultation may be helpful in patients with significant mucous membrane involvement of those areas.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!