Which specialists may be consulted in the treatment of group A streptococcal (GAS) infections?

Updated: Sep 07, 2018
  • Author: Zartash Zafar Khan, MD, FACP; Chief Editor: Pranatharthi Haran Chandrasekar, MBBS, MD  more...
  • Print

Consultations relating to GAS infections can include the following:

  • Surgeon - For necrotizing fasciitis and bone and joint infections

  • Critical care specialist - For epiglottitis and TSS

  • Nephrologist - For PSGN

  • Neurologist - For chorea and PANDAS syndrome

  • Infectious diseases specialist - For assistance in differential diagnosis and broad management issues

  • Cardiologist - For carditis

  • Dermatologist - For skin conditions

  • Pathologist - For analysis of biopsies and other intraoperative specimens

  • Ear, nose, and throat (ENT) specialist - For complicated pharyngeal infections with peripharyngeal extension, abscess, or Ludwig angina

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!