Which consultations may be necessary in the treatment of Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) infectious mononucleosis (mono)?

Updated: Sep 20, 2018
  • Author: Burke A Cunha, MD; Chief Editor: Michael Stuart Bronze, MD  more...
  • Print

Consult an infectious disease specialist in all but the most straightforward cases of EBV infectious mononucleosis.

Consulting a hematologist may be necessary if unusual hematologic manifestations of EBV infectious mononucleosis are present (eg, in anemia to determine the cause of the patient's anemia).

Consulting a neurologist is advised for patients with potential CNS involvement.

Consultation with a cardiologist is advised for the rare patients with EBV infectious mononucleosis who have presumed myocarditis.

Consult a gastroenterologist for patients with EBV-induced acalculous cholecystitis or if anicteric hepatitis is in the differential diagnoses.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!