When should a dermatologist be consulted in the management of human papillomavirus (HPV) infection?

Updated: Feb 20, 2020
  • Author: Peter A Gearhart, MD; Chief Editor: Pranatharthi Haran Chandrasekar, MBBS, MD  more...
  • Print

Consult a dermatologist for assistance with management of epidermodysplasia verruciformis (EV). Bleeding warts, moles, birthmarks, or unusual warts with hair growing from them can be confused with HPV disease; refer these types of lesions to a dermatologist for diagnostic clarification. Dermatologists who specialize in Mohs surgery may be of particular assistance in managing verrucous carcinomas.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!