Which lab studies are performed for the evaluation of tenosynovitis?

Updated: Nov 22, 2019
  • Author: Mark R Foster, MD, PhD, FACS; Chief Editor: Harris Gellman, MD  more...
  • Print

Coagulation studies are needed in anticoagulated patients or in patients with known or suspected bleeding diathesis. In severe infection in which systemic sepsis is a concern, disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC), though quite rare, must be ruled out.

Test for rheumatoid factor if rheumatoid arthritis is a consideration.

Gonococcal cultures of the urethra or cervix, rectum, and pharynx are appropriate if gonococcal tenosynovitis is suspected. One of these cultures is positive in approximately 80% of patients. In addition, transiently elevated liver function studies (LFTs) have been described with disseminated gonococcal infection.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!