Which specialist consultations are helpful in the treatment of gonorrhea?

Updated: Jun 15, 2021
  • Author: Shahab Qureshi, MD, FACP; Chief Editor: Pranatharthi Haran Chandrasekar, MBBS, MD  more...
  • Print

The following consultations should be made in cases of gonococcal infections:

  • Gynecologist - Should be consulted for patients with severe pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) and for any pregnant patient with an STD

  • Pediatrician - Should be consulted for any child with an STD

  • Ophthalmologist - Should be consulted for every patient with gonococcal conjunctivitis, as this disease may progress rapidly and can cause permanent loss of vision

  • Infectious disease specialist - May be of benefit in cases of disseminated gonococcal infection (DGI) or complicated disease courses

In cases of suspected rape or abuse in pediatric patients, seeking specialist help (in the form of specialist nurses or physicians) to interview and collect specimens (if necessary) for testing is prudent. Careful documentation of physical findings, even if apparently normal, is crucial for medicolegal reasons. Notification of child-protective services is required if abuse is suspected.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!