Which specialist consultations may be helpful in patients with enterovirus infections?

Updated: Mar 17, 2021
  • Author: Robert A Schwartz, MD, MPH; Chief Editor: Michael Stuart Bronze, MD  more...
  • Print

Consultation with a physiatrist is helpful to plan specific exercise programs, to direct physical therapy, and to provide adaptive equipment for patients with paralytic polio.

Consultation with a cardiologist may be requested in myopericarditis for management of arrhythmias.

Consultation with a cardiovascular surgeon may be required for the management of complicated pericardial effusions and in some cases for cardiac transplantation.

Consultation with an ophthalmologist is appropriate for AHC.

Consultation with a neurologist is recommended in cases of paralytic polio.

Physical and occupational therapists help patients with polio to establish a safe exercise program, to adapt the home environment, and to use mechanical aids (eg, grab bars).

Consultation with an infectious disease specialist may be useful in cases of unexplained aseptic meningitis or myopericarditis.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!